Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pregnancy Update

Time is going by quickly! I am now at 32 weeks in the pregnancy and the twins are doing quite well. We've continued to have monthly ultrasounds to track their growth and development. In August the boy was estimated to be 2 lbs 7oz (54th percentile) and the girl was tracked at 2lbs 14oz (83rd percentile). We were able to see them pretty well and learned that the boy (twin A) was breech then, but that his sister was head down. At my doctor's appointment the following week, the boy had turned head down! This definitely increases my chances of avoiding a c-section. We are very thankful for that.

Just this past Friday (9/9) we had our most recent ultrasound and were glad that both babies continue to be head down! I wasn't sure because they both move around quite a bit! The boy is still twin A (would be born first) and was pretty cooperative for the ultrasound. We saw him practice breathing (good sign that babies are doing well), noticed that he had some hair, and were shown some fat rolls along his spine! He was also sucking on his toes. We saw his mouth move several times during the ultrasound and his foot was right up by his mouth.

He is estimated to be 4lbs 8oz (74th percentile). I was relieved to know that he is continuing to grow well--even though he is smaller than his sister.

The girl was apparently in a pretty "crunched" position so they had a harder time measuring her, but were able to see everything they needed. But it did mean that she wasn't in a good photo position, so we don't have any pictures of her. She is estimated to be 5lbs 8oz (over the 97th percentile)--yes that is a whole pound bigger than her brother! We also saw her doing some practice breathing as well--again a good sign that she isn't
"stressed".

The doctors were very pleased with their growth and size. The attending doctor joked that I was having "moose" and "mooser" =). They assured us that even though there is a size difference between the babies (17% currently) that they aren't concerned because both babies are big--they would be concerned if the smaller baby was below the 50th percentile.

I am feeling pretty good--all things considered. It made me feel better to know that I was carrying 10lbs of babies--and that explained why I have been having more and more trouble getting around. So the twins seem to be gaining weight at a rate of at least half a pound a week, and that means that if I do get to 38 weeks they will likely weigh a total of at least 16 pounds! That would certainly be some good sized twins!

So I will have my next growth scan in 4 weeks (October 10th) when I will be about 36 weeks. I have my next appointment with my OB this coming Friday (9/16) and I'm sure we will talk more about the timeline of things. I am pretty sure that she won't let me get much past 38 weeks given the good size of the babies--I'm not sure I'll be wanting to carry them around much more at that point. I feel pretty much that as soon as they are healthy enough to be born--I'm ready! =)

My hope is to get to at least 35 weeks for the babies health and also because then my mom will be back from her trip to Europe right at that point! We are definitely hoping she will be here to help with the twins when they arrive. I am sure though that between my sisters, Jason's family, and our friends here in CT that we will be well taken care of even if my mom can't be here.

Hudson probably has no idea what will be coming, but we are trying to prepare him the best we can. He has a baby doll that he holds, hugs, kisses, and tries to be gentle with. He likes to kiss my belly and even give fist bumps to his brother and sister. He also knows that the cribs in his room are for his brother and sister. From some of his library books, he's learned that you need to be quiet when a baby is sleeping--he'll say "shhh". I'm sure it will be a transition for him, but we are confident that Hudson will be a great helper and big brother.

We will keep you updated, but it is exciting and scary all at the same time that the babies could be here in a matter of a few weeks! Thanks so much for all your prayers, encouragement and help!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing! I absolutely can't wait to see these darling children! Praying and praying for you, Kim.

    ReplyDelete