I am finally doing it! I've set up my own blog. =)
I'm planning on using this blog to give you updates of how things are going for Jason & me in New Haven. It will give you a glimpse into what we experience as we adjust to living here in New Haven--our new home.
We moved here on August 17th with the help of my parents and sister Ellen. They were a HUGE help and we couldn't have done it without them. It was one of the hottest days of the summer so far, and everyone was soaked by the time we finished unloading the truck. We scrambled to get our Budget rental truck back to the return spot, but made it just before 5:30pm. We spent some more time unpacking and arranging and then went to search for washer and dryers and a spot for dinner. We ate at Olive Garden, and enjoyed being in the air conditioning. We then checked out Lowe's and Home Depot. We bought an air conditioner that night--but no washer and dryer.
Tuesday, August 18th we had our internet hooked up and our cable connected. To our surprise we are actually getting more channels that I thought we would! I called the company but they assured me that we weren't getting charged any extra and that there wasn't anything we needed to do other than report it! So I've really been enjoying watching the Food Network, HGTV & TLC. It's fun while it lasts =)
Tuesday we took Mom, Dad & Ellen on the Yale tour, and while it was HOT we still enjoyed learning more about the school. After our tour we headed to the shopping area west of us to purchase our washer and dryer. The bummer is that they weren't in stock so we won't be getting them until September 1st. We felt it was still worth it, even if we have to go to the laundromat next week.
After our big purchase we walked across the parking lot to try out Five Guys: Burgers and Fries. Wow it was GOOD! We all really enjoyed our burgers and fries. I think there is one in Rochester, so those of you there should check it out! After dinner Jason & Dad worked on getting all the pipes ready for our gas dryer, so that when it is delivered we'll just be able to do some final hook ups. Thanks Dad!
Wednesday we had a nice breakfast and enjoyed the last few hours before my family headed back to Rochester. It was sad to have them leave, but we were so thankful they could come and help us as much as they did. By the time they left, our main floor was pretty much unpacked: kitchen set up, living room, dinning room, and our beds were ready to go.
My friend Allison & her husband were kind enough to bring us dinner on Thursday night! It was so nice to know that I didn't have to worry about cooking, and wonderful to see them. Jason & I are excited that there are a few people we know and look forward to getting to know Allison & Matt better.
Jason & I have been relaxing and enjoying a bit of "vacation" before he starts back to school and I hopefully begin substitute teaching. I had hoped to work for Kelly Services as a sub, but called them on Friday and they are "full" until the end of October. So I was back to square one. They service several districts in the area, but not all of them. So both Jason & I started looking for other districts. Jason came across a long term sub job for 7th grade science starting September 2nd. So I scrambled to apply for that job and got that application in yesterday. I know that they have at least looked at my application and would expect to hear from someone soon if they are interested in me. I will keep you posted!
This morning we tried out our third church in the area. (We had visited 2 others during our visits here. We REALLY liked it. The worship style was very similar to what we are used to, it was well done, and the preaching was good. We talked with the Pastor of Discipleship and his wife and found out that they had lived in Rochester and worked for InterVarsity. It was fun to have a Rochester connection with them. Both Jason & I could really picture ourselves attending this church and getting plugged into small groups. So we are really thankful that we think we've found our church. It's called Trinity Church with a subtitle "An Evangelical Free Church"--seems they are ahead of North in this naming area!! =).
This afternoon we took a jaunt to IKEA and went ahead and bought a nice dresser for Jason. He is working right now to put it together.
I am hoping that very shortly I will be able to take some pictures of our place so that you can see where we are living.
Thanks for reading this really long post, and come back and check for updates! We love feedback too!
Happy Mom Day
1 year ago

I'm so glad to hear that things went well at church today! Looking forward to seeing you later this week and hearing more about it... :)
ReplyDeleteYay, a blog! I'm glad that we will be able to read about your new adventures and keep in touch this week (as well as FB!). So glad that you may have found your home church! I miss you already!
ReplyDeleteDon't you just love blogs ? I started one a few months ago, written in Portuguese for my family and friends in Brazil.
ReplyDeleteIt's great to know how well you are doing and that you've found your home church already ! God is good !
I'll be waiting for the pictures of your new home!
Love you guys !
Yea! I am so glad you have a blog. Good to hear you are getting settled and likely found a church home. Look forward to seeing some pictures. I miss & love you!
ReplyDeleteSo glad to hear that things are falling into place for you. I love the blog and look forward to reading more. I miss you.
ReplyDeleteHooray for blogs! I'm so glad you set this up and so quickly after moving. I'm impressed :).
ReplyDeleteKim, I'm so glad that you have a blog. I'll so enjoy keeping up with you!
ReplyDelete